Jackson, New Hampshire 03846
Jackson, NH Lodging, Real Estate, Travel & Visitor Information
Early settlers of Jackson, New Hampshire came from Madbury. The town was originally called New Madbury. At the time of incorporation (December 4, 1800), the name was changed to Adams in honor of President John Adams. In 1829 the name was changed again, this time to Jackson. The name change, was motivated in response to the election of President Andrew Jackson, the hero of the Battle of New Orleans. The popularity of President Jackson is reflected in that only one vote was cast for keeping Adams as the name.
In the mid-1800’s, Jackson was a popular destination for artists arriving by coach to capture the scenic beauty of the area. Hotels were built to accommodate visitors. In 1876, the covered bridge which spans the Ellis River was built by Charles Austin Broughton and his son Frank. At that time it was named the “Honeymoon Bridge”. Local custom has carried on a romantic tradition with many newly married couples having their photograph taken there. That tradition continues even today. Jackson’s Covered Bridge, a Paddleford truss construction, is one of 55 remaining.
Although many of the grand hotels of Jackson are now gone, the splendor of this New Hampshire Village remains. Visitors come year round to enjoy the views, covered bridge, white steeple church, water falls, mountains, hiking trails, skiing, and rolling farmland. There are some superb accommodations in Jackson – including country inns, B&B’s, and lodges.
Jackson, NH Population:
Jackson, NH Local Information
Jackson Police Dispatch: 911
NH White Mountain Vacations
NH Vacation Rentals | NH Country Inns | Top NH Hotels | Resorts
Classified | Golfing | Top NH Events | Attractions | Sweepstakes | Personals
Dining | Real Estate | Skiing | Pet Friendly Lodging | Conferences | Weddings
Products | NH Town Guides | Shopping
New England Living Magazine