Surry, New Hampshire was chartered in 1769. Surry, was originally part of Westmoreland. Surry, NH was named for Charles Howard, Earl of Surrey, Duke of Norfolk, and hereditary Earl Marshal of England. The county of Surrey in England was known for the manufacture of pleasure carriages called surreys, introduced to America in 1872. Surry is an excellent geological area, containing quantities of quartz bearing veins of gold, silver, copper, and lead. Shaw's Corner is a hamlet in the town of Surry.