The north country town of Stratford, New Hampshire. was first granted in 1762 to early settlers mostly from Woodbury, Connecticut. Stratford was originally named Woodbury. Indian troubles had many families forfeiting their claims, and it was regranted in 1773 as Stratford, also a town in Connecticut. The name is also in honor of Stratford-on-Avon, Shakespeare's home. The entire tract was one of the largest granted in New Hampshire, a total of 48,603 acres.