The town of Ossipee, New Hampshire was originally known as Wigwam Village, and then New Garden. Ossipee was named for the Ossipee Indians, one of the twelve Algonquin tribes. It was once the site of an Indian stockade fort, designed to protect the tribe from Mohawks in the west. In 1725, the Indian stockade was destroyed, and then rebuilt by Captain John Lovewell. The new fort was one of the largest in New England.